County Armagh in the province of Ulster is one of the six counties that make up Northern Ireland. It covers an area of 1,326 square kilometres and has a population of about 174,792.
The area is known as The Orchard County due to the many apple orchards. The south of the county is rugged and hilly with Carrigatuke, Lislea, and Camlough Mountains as well as Slieve Gullion, the county’s highest point.
The county takes its name from the town of Ard Macha, the Irish word for Macha’s Height, thought to be an ancient king who built a site at what is now Navan Fort.
Towns and Cities
Acton, Co. Armagh
Acton is a small village in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. It lies around half a mile north of Poyntzpass in the Armagh City and District Council area.
Armagh City, Co. Armagh
Armagh City is a cathedral city in the heart of Northern Ireland. Sharing its name with the historic county, it saw much activity during World War Two.
Bessbrook, Co. Armagh
Bessbrook is a small village in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. It lies around three miles north-west of Newry on the main route between Belfast and Dublin.
Crossmaglen, Co. Armagh
The village of Crossmaglen in Co. Armagh has a population of around 1,500. During World War Two, it was the site of Urcher Hill Chain Home Radar Station.
Keady, Co. Armagh
Keady is a town in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland near the border with Republic of Ireland. American GIs had bases around the village during World War Two.
Loughgall, Co. Armagh
Loughgall is a small village in the heart of Orchard County, rural Co. Armagh. The population is less than 300 but in 1944 American GIs made a home there.
Lurgan, Co. Armagh
The Co. Armagh town of Lurgan played a major role in World War Two when the imposing Brownlow House became headquarters for the United States Army in 1942.
Portadown, Co. Armagh
Portadown is a town in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. It lies on the banks of the River Bann in the Armagh, Banbridge, and Craigavon Borough Council area.
Tandragee, Co. Armagh
Tandragee is a town in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. The town lies on the banks of the River Cusher. Today, it is best known as the home of Tayto crisps.