On 2nd January 1942, the Royal Engineers quarried materials around Co. Antrim. The following year saw the opening of R.A.F. Toome on the shore of Lough Neagh.
On 2nd January 1942, elements of 853rd Quarrying Company, Royal Engineers worked at in Stoneyford and the nearby area in Co. Antrim sourcing building materials.
On 2nd January 1943, the Royal Air Force began operations from Toome Airfield, Co. Antrim, however, the site would soon become a training ground for the U.S.A.A.F.
Private Derick Christopher Coomber was the husband of Gertrude Coomber of Larne, Co. Antrim. He served in the Suffolk Regiment during the Second World War.