Several companies making up part of the Corps of Royal Engineers served and trained throughout Northern Ireland during the course of the Second World War.
On 11th November 1942, members of the Royal Engineers erected a pair of Bailey Bridges across the River Blackwater at the Caledon Park Site in Co. Tyrone.
During the Second World War, members of 853rd Quarrying Company, Royal Engineers worked around the Stoneyford area in Co. Antrim sourcing building materials.
In 1941, photographer Lieutenant J.R. Bainbridge pictured members of the Inland Water Transport, Royal Engineers patrolling on Lough Neagh in Northern Ireland.
17th Field Company, Royal Engineers saw action in France with the British Expeditionary Force in the early stages of the Second World War leading up to Dunkirk.