William Henry Jamieson

Rifleman William Henry Jamieson of Sailortown, Belfast, Co. Antrim died on 12th August 1943 after a tragic train collision in Scarborough, North Yorkshire.


William Henry Jamieson


In August 1943, a tragic accident took place at the London North Eastern Railway in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Trains collided at the station causing the deaths of 4 men from the Royal Ulster Rifles.

Rifleman William Henry Jamieson (7018997) served in 7th Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles during World War Two. Known as Henry, he was the son of Joseph Jamieson, a Royal Irish Rifles veteran, of Belfast, Co. Antrim. William had a wife and a young son also named Joseph Jamieson. They lived at 23 New Dock Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim.

Henry died on 12th August 1943 aged 22 years old as a result of injuries sustained at the London North Eastern Railway, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. A train carrying men of the Royal Ulster Rifles collided with another train at the station. This caused the death of 3 Ulster men including Leonard Calder and William Hall. A fourth soldier, John Harman also died in the collision. The incident came about when a signalman pulled the wrong signal. An inquest found no evidence of criminal negligence, returning verdicts of accidental death.

A further 8 men received medical care in a hospital. G Buick, W Curran, F Cane, J Kehoe, R Kirby, D Ruddy, R Kirk all served in 7th Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles. Another soldier named Hume was in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

I had the misfortune of making an error which caused the 9.05 am train ex-Hull to run on to the wrong platform, number 5 instead of number 3 platform, for which error I am deeply grieved and sorry. I am unable to say what caused me to do this.

Signalman Herbert William Scholes, Scarborough.

William Henry Jamieson’s grave is in Section AF, Joint Grave 139 of Carnmoney Cemetery, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim. He lies next to colleague, neighbour, and brother in law Rifleman Leonard Calder who died in the same incident. The funeral took place from the house of Mr. F Spence, father in law of both men, at 8 New Dock Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim.