Lieutenant James Craig (115186) served in 7th Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles during World War Two. He was the son of Richard James Craig and Mary Craig of Randalstown, Co. Antrim, and husband of Kathleen MC Craig of Ivacraig, Craigavad, Co. Down.
The 1901 Irish Census lists James living with his 44-year-old father and 29-year-old mother at 2 Shane Street, Randalstown, Co. Antrim. Also in the house are Lavinia Craig aged 9 years old, Jessie Campbell Craig aged 3 years old, William Charles Craig aged 2 years old, and a baby John Campbell Craig. The family has a 28-year-old servant named Sarah Hutchinson.
Craig’s education took place at Royal Belfast Academical Institution, Belfast, Co. Antrim and at Queen’s University, Belfast, Co. Antrim. He was well known as one of the best athletes in Ulster, setting many sprint records during his time as a student and in the army during World War One. He represented Ireland in 100-yard and 220-yard races and received a call up to the Great Britain team for the 1912 Olympics Games.
His 100-yard record was 10.1 seconds and as of 1941, his records at both RBAI and QUB still stood. He maintained a close relationship with the North of Ireland Athletic Association, having been their Chairman. He had also been President of the Queen’s University Athletic Association.
James served in the Royal Irish Rifles in World War One and was twice was mentioned in despatches. He was also wounded twice and invalided in 1917. After The Great War, James qualified as a solicitor and worked in Co. Antrim. In 1929, he became an Assistant (Petty Sessions) Solicitor for the Belfast Corporation. The corporation was a forerunner of Belfast City Council.
In May 1921, Craig married Kathleen Northey, the daughter of the late Reverend Joseph Northey. The couple had a young daughter. James died on active service on 10th May 1941 aged 46 years old.
James Craig’s grave is in Section G2, Grave 593 of Belfast City Cemetery, Belfast, Co. Antrim. His name features on the Queen’s University War Memorial, Belfast, Co. Antrim and a memorial at the Royal Courts of Justice, Chichester Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim.
Reverend LW Martin of Helen’s Bay Presbyterian Church, Co. Down conducted the service at 1315hrs on 13th May 1941. In attendance were members of North of Ireland Athletics Association, Queen’s University Athletic Association, Incorporated Law Society of Northern Ireland, and Royal Belfast Academical Institution. Attendees also included Town Clerk Mr. John Archer, Deputy Town Clerk Mr. JF McKinstry, Mr. TJ McKeown and Mr. S Love of Belfast Corporation, and men from the Royal Ulster Rifles.