Corporal Hugh Kennedy (7902429) served in North Irish Horse, Royal Armoured Corps during World War Two. North Irish Horse was reformed during World War Two as an armoured car unit under Sir Alan Brooke.
He was the son of John Kennedy and Martha Kennedy of Bangor, Co. Down. He was the husband of Margaret Kennedy, also from the Co. Down seaside town.
He died on 16th December 1940 aged 31 years old. At this time, the North Irish Horse had left Northern Ireland for Westbury, Wiltshire. There, they transferred from Valentine tanks to Churchill Mark IV tanks. The North Irish Horse joined 34th Army Tank Brigade under the command of JN Tetley, son of the English brewer.
Hugh Kennedy’s grave is in Section 5W, Grave 37 of Bangor New Cemetery, Bangor, Co. Down. His headstone bears the inscription:
Thy word is true. Thy will is just. To Thee, we leave him, Lord, in trust.