Private Edward Weir (D/24547) served in 6th Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles during World War Two. Born on 3rd September 1888, he was the son of Robert Weir and Margaret Weir (née McLarnon) of Belfast, Co. Down.
The Weir’s resided at 17 Club Row Lane, Belfast, Co. Down. Club Row Lane or Club Row Loanin is now Dee Street. Edward was the husband of Agnes Weir of Belfast, Co. Antrim.
His eldest siblings were born in Renfrewshire, Scotland where Robert Weir worked as a ship’s riveter; Christina Weir born on 29th May 1874, Mary Weir born in 1877, Ann Weir born on 25th August 1881.
The Weir family then moved to Belfast where shipbuilding was an emerging industry in the mid-1880s. A son, Archibald Weir was born on 25th May 1885. Edward also had younger brothers; George Weir born on 3rd July 1891, Peter Weir born in June 1894, and Henry “Harry” Weir born on 21st October 1896.
On 31st March 1901, the Irish census records the family at 123 Church Street East, Belfast, Co. Down. By the time of the next census on 2nd April 1911, Edward is serving with 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in England.
Death of a Veteran
Edward died on 14th January 1947 aged 57 years old. His place of death was the UVF Hospital, Upper Galwally, Belfast, Co. Antrim. At the time, Weir lived nearby in 2 Earl Haig Park, houses established for World War One veterans. A funeral took place two days later on 16th January 1947 in Dundonald, Co. Down.
Edward Weir’s grave is in Section B4, Grave 613 of Dundonald Cemetery, Dundonald, Co. Down. His headstone bears the inscription:
Resting where no shadows fall.