Seagoe Cemetery is next to the Seagoe Parish Church on the outskirts of Portadown, Co. Armagh. The graveyard is the final resting place of fourteen men who died during World War Two.
The parish name of Seagoe in Co. Armagh is associated with Saint Gobhan. Today’s parish name could stem from either the Latin or Irish for Gobhan’s house. Dating back to around 540 AD, it is one of Ireland’s most ancient Christian settlements. A mound among the ruins of the old church exists where the first house of Gobhan once stood.
In its earliest days, the church or house of prayer served a large community living in the Lough Neagh lowlands between what is now Portadown and Lurgan. The early churches suffered from the violence of the 1600s as colonists fought against the native Irish.
The current church, situated across the road from Seagoe Cemetery, began life in 1816. At the time, it was a plain building but over the years a chancel was added and many improvements made.
The east window in St Mark’s Cathedral, Armagh is a copy of the one in Seagoe. The mosaic tiling in the church’s chancel comes from a Scandinavian design found on a coin buried in the crypt.
Commonwealth War Graves in Seagoe Cemetery
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists 14 grave plots in Seagoe Cemetery on Seagoe Road, Portadown, Co. Armagh.
|Last Name||First Name(s)||Date of Death||Grave|
|Bleeks||William James||20th June 1942||B 78|
|Burke||Aubrey||16th August 1946||Old Ground 1167|
|Cole||Norman||20th April 1945||E 13|
|Craig||William John||21st May 1941||E 158|
|Currie||Ernest Stewart||18th June 1945||C 37|
|Doak||Robert Victor||24th September 1942||B 318|
|Kerr||Samuel John||26th November 1940||Old Ground 1384|
|Lutton||William John Kirkpatrick||12th August 1946||Old Ground 736|
|Pentland||George||20th September 1942||Old Ground 765|
|Kane||Vincent||18th March 1946||M 337|
|Hunniford||George||15th December 1941||A 5 5|
|Maginn||Henry Howard||11th September 1942||A 5 10|
|Roney||Hugh||26th July 1942||B 6 6|
|Wilson||Samuel James||19th July 1942||A 4 26|
William James Bleeks
Leading Aircraftman • 1035372
Leading Aircraftman William James Bleeks of Portadown, Co. Armagh died on 20th June 1942 after a motor vehicle accident at RAF Skeabrae, Orkney, Scotland.
Able Seaman • D/JX 302541
Able Seaman Norman Cole from Portadown, Co. Armagh served on board HMS Renown at the time of his death towards the end of the war on 20th April 1945.
William John Craig
Fusilier • 6984364
Fusilier William John Craig of Portadown, Co. Armagh served with 70th (Young Soldiers) Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers when he died on 21st May 1941.
Ernest Stewart Currie
Driver • T/107789
Ernest Stewart Currie of Portadown, Co. Armagh was a Driver in the Royal Army Service Corps at his time of death towards the end of war on 18th June 1945.
Robert Victor Doak
Corporal • 639860
Corporal Robert Victor Doak served with Royal Air Force Coastal Command 51 Squadron at RAF Chivenor, Devon at the time of his death on 24th September 1942.
Sergeant • 950488
RAF 219 Squadron were at RAF Tangmere, Sussex when Radar Operator George Hunniford of Portadown, Co. Armagh died on active service on 15th December 1941.
Samuel John Kerr
Aircraftman 2nd Class • 976712
Aircraftman 2nd Class Samuel John Kerr from Railway Street, Portadown, Co. Armagh died in England on 26th November 1940 while training with the RAF.
Henry Howard Maginn
Sergeant • 637636
Sergeant Henry Howard Maginn's name appears on Portadown's War Memorial. He died in September 1942 on the return from a bombing raid on Dusseldorf, Germany.
Gunner • 956614
Gunner George Pentland from Portadown, Co. Armagh served in the Royal Artillery during the Second World War and died as a result of an accident in England.
Samuel James Wilson
Sergeant • 1026302
Samuel James Wilson of Portadown, Co. Armagh died on 19th July 1942 when Vickers Wellington DV800 came down in the mountains of Snowdonia, North Wales.