Prospect House on the Woodburn Road, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim was once a grand mansion with ornamental grounds. Built around 1760, the site is now in a state of disrepair and mostly built over.
The Henly Gate remains. Dating from the 1920s, it was a 21st birthday present to Gwen Henly, the owner of the estate at the time. At the gate is a memorial to the members of 3rd (Rumbeke) Infantry Brigade of the Belgian Army.
The Belgian unit trained in and around the Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim area for around 6 months in 1945. 2nd Battalion of the Brigade used the grand house as their base.
Memorial to the Belgian Army
The plaque at Henly Gate, Prospect House, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim reads:
Henly Gate. This portico is the only portion of the Henly Gate remaining. The gate was erected in the 1920s as a 21st birthday present to Gwen Henly who was the last owner of Prospect House Estate.
Belgian 3rd Infantry Brigade “Rumbeke”. During WWII the Estate was commandeered for military purposes. Following the liberation in late 1944 it was agreed that Belgium would raise 5 Infantry Brigades which were to be trained in Northern Ireland.
The 3rd Infantry Brigade “Rumbeke” was posted to Northern Ireland from March 1945. It was billeted around the Northern shore of Belfast Lough. The 2nd Battalion was located here at Prospect House.
The Brigade trained for almost 6 months in this area before going on to take part in the occupation of Germany. Dedicated 5th November 2006 by the Borough of Carrickfergus.