Portadown is a town in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. The town lies on the banks of the River Bann in the Armagh, Banbridge, and Craigavon Borough Council area. It is part of Craigavon along with Lurgan.
The town was once known as The Hub Of The North. At 24 miles or 39km south-west of Belfast, it has links with the Northern Irish capital via the M1 motorway and a direct railway line. With transport via railways and the River Bann, it became an important centre for textile and linen production.
The following American forces were based in the Co. Armagh town between 1943 and 1944. If you have more information on exact bases, please get in touch.
|Start Date||End Date||Units|
|18/10/1943||22/12/1943||Company K, 467th Quartermaster Truck Regiment|
|22/12/1943||02/04/1944||3630th Quartermaster Truck Company (Heavy)|
|07/11/1943||06/06/1944||55th Finance Disbursing Section|
|11/1943||06/1944||19th Special Services Company (Minus)|
|24/12/1943||28/01/1944||Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 152nd Quartermaster Battalion (Mobile)|
|05/04/1944||06/05/1944||136th Quartermaster Truck Company (Nebraska National Guard)|
Places of Interest
The following places will be of interest to anyone wishing to explore more of the town's World War Two heritage.
Annagh Pillbox, Tandragee Road, Portadown, Co. Armagh
Known as the Annagh Pillbox in the Portadown area, the Type 28 concrete defensive structure would have overlooked the River Bann on the main road between Portadown and Tandragee in Co. Armagh.
Bann Bridge Air Raid Shelter, Portadown, Co. Armagh
Contractors discovered an air-raid shelter dating from the early 1940s beneath the Bann Bridge in Portadown in 2005. It is a rare find in Northern Ireland.
Bleary Pillbox, Portadown, Co. Armagh
The Bleary Pillbox is similar in construction to nearby structures at Drumlin Hill, Moyallan. It is one of seven pillboxes in the town making up defences along the River Bann.
Brownstown Prisoner of War Camp, Portadown, Co. Armagh
Camp 11a, the Brownstown Prisoner of War Camp, was lost beneath redevelopment of the Brownstown Estate in the 1960s but residents remember German inmates.
Drumcree Church of Ireland, Portadown, Co. Armagh
Drumcree Church of Ireland churchyard in Portadown, Co. Armagh contains five Commonwealth War Graves dating from World War Two between 1940 and 1946.
Killicomaine Prisoner of War Camp, Portadown, Co. Armagh
The Killicomaine Prisoner of War Camp stood on the grounds of Killicomaine Castle or Irwin's Castle running onto Collen's Lane, now called Princess Way.
Moyallan Pillbox, Gilford Road, Portadown, Co. Armagh
The Moyallan Pillbox remains standing on a crest overlooking the River Bann defensive line in the townland of Moyallan between Portadown in Co. Armagh and Gilford in Co. Down.
Portadown War Memorial, Church Street, Portadown, Co Armagh
The Portadown War Memorial, made of bronze and Irish granite, stands in front of St. Mark's Church of Ireland in the Co. Armagh town commemorating men and women from the area who died in both World Wars.
Seagoe Cemetery, Portadown, Co. Armagh
Seagoe Cemetery in the Co. Armagh town of Portadown contains fourteen Commonwealth War Graves relating to World War Two dating between 1940 and 1946.
The Plaza Ballroom, Portadown, Co. Armagh
The old Plaza Ballroom building on Bridge Street, Portadown has had many uses; in recent times a funeral parlour but in the 1940s, it was full of life.