Between 1938 and 1948, Millisle was home to a small Jewish community based at a farm at Ballyrolly House. Many of the children attended the nearby Millisle Primary School.
Headmaster John Palmer ran the school and a Mrs. Mawhinney taught the under 8s.
Each Jewish child sat next to one of the local children to help them learn the local language. Once they reached the age of 14 years old, the children left for secondary schools. These included Bangor Grammar School, Bangor High School for Girls, and Regent House Grammar School.