Fintona is a small market village in west Co. Tyrone. Human activity in the area dates back over 4,000 years. The landscape contains burial mounds, standing stones, stone circles, and other prehistorical remains.
The current village dates back to an O’Neill military fortress from 1431. After the Plantation of Ulster, the Eccles family became the main landowners in the area. Their grand estate is now Fintona Golf Club and Ecclesville Park in a demense dating back to 1703.
In 1942, the United States Army arrived in the villages of Fintona and Seskinore and other places throughout Co. Tyrone. Their arrival had a major impact on the rural district.
The following American forces were based in the Co. Tyrone village between 1942 and 1944. If you have more information on exact bases, please get in touch.
|Start Date||End Date||Units|
|1942||1942||Headquarters, 135th Infantry, 34th Infantry Division (Ecclesville House)|
|1942||1942||Service Company, 135th Infantry, 34th Infantry Division|
|15th December 1943||1944||8th Quartermaster Company, 8th Infantry Division (Ecclesville House)|
|1943||1944||8th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized, 8th Infantry Division (Shadow Camp)|
|1943||1944||1st Battalion, 121st Infantry, 8th Infantry Division (Shadow Camp)|
|4th May 1944||17th May 1944||Company F (Less 3rd Platoon) 28th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized|
Headquarters of 135th Infantry, 34th Infantry Division were at Ecclesville House, a large house that no longer exists. Parts of the old building may remain at the Ecclesville Centre, Fintona, Co. Tyrone. The house also provided a base for 8th Quartermaster Company, 8th Infantry Division from 15th December 1943. 121st Infantry, 8th Infantry Division – known as The Gray Bonnet Regiment – were at Shadow Camp, Fintona, Co. Tyrone briefly before moving on to Ballynorthland, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.