Drumcree Church of Ireland stands in the parish of Drumcree on the outskirts of Portadown, Co. Armagh. The graveyard is the final resting place of five men who died during World War Two.
The parish name of Drumcree in Co. Armagh dates back to 1110. The area has been associated with Christian worship since the time of the Celts. An early church was destroyed during the reformation and a new plain stone building replaced it after the Plantation of Ulster in 1610.
The foundation stone of the present church in Portadown was laid on 17th May 1855, Ascension Day. Drumcree Church of Ireland has since been known as The Church of the Ascension.
A war memorial to the fallen of World War One was built in 1921. This was added to by a memorial for World War Two in 1989.
Commonwealth War Graves in Drumcree Church of Ireland
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists 5 grave plots in Drumcree Church of Ireland on Drumcree Road, Portadown, Co. Armagh.
|First Name(s)||Last Name||Date of Death||Grave|
|John George||Benson||13th March 1944||New Ground 325|
|John||Morrison||13th February 1944||Old Ground 179|
|Thomas||Robinson||18th March 1941||New Ground 170|
|William||Summerville||7th May 1946||Terrace 4 96|
|Wilfred||Wright||4th January 1940||Terrace 2 44|
John George Benson
Private John George Benson died on 13th March 1944. He served in the Pioneer Corps at his time of death. His name features on the Portadown War Memorial.