The Sperrin Mountains mark the border between Co. Tyrone and Co. Londonderry with much of the wild and rugged landscape falling on the Derry side. The range spans over 40 miles, making it the largest in Northern Ireland. During the Second World War, the hills, glens, bogs, and rocky bluffs made for great training grounds for the British and American military.
In November 1942, Sappers of III Kent Corps Troops Royal Engineers began an ambitious training project in the Sperrins. As part of 61st Infantry Division, these Sappers were in Northern Ireland. The Corps, consisting of 297 Field Park Company and 582, 583, and 584 Army Field Companies began work on a new road cut through the Co. Londonderry mountains.
In an area known as Templemoyle, south of Dungiven, Co. Londonderry, they began the huge construction project, starting with cutting into the rock face. As the road-building project progressed into the hills, the soldiers also cut out black peat. They stacked this to the side to drain as they also dug drainage channels and sumps in the marshier areas.
Crevices formed during the last Ice Age as well as streams and brooks flowing nearby provided gravel, stones, and large boulders for foundations. The successful construction project made the newspapers in early December 1942, having been completed in just over a week.
This winding mountain road has just been completed in eight days by Royal Engineers in N. Ireland. With the need for petrol economy, no mechanical aid was used. All units were called in to help – cooks, drivers, batmen, etc., and the entire job was done with pick and shovel.
All kinds of soil were encountered varying from black peat to heavy boulders. Eight thousand tons of soil and rock were shifted, and it is computed that each man dealt with over two tons per shift. The road is about a thousand yards long and twelve feet wide. Officers, N.C.O.s, and men worked together in what is believed to be a unique training exercise.
Belfast Telegraph, 5th December 1942.