Stramore Farm, Gilford, Co. Down

In 1943, an Advance Detachment of African American GIs of 6th Cavalry arrived at Stramore Farm, Gilford, Co. Down taking over the former British REME base.

Stramore Farm


Co. Down

Northern Ireland

In the early years of World War Two, units of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers occupied the site at Stramore Farm, Gilford, Co. Down.

With the arrival of the United States Army’s 6th Cavalry, an Advance Detachment of black soldiers in a segregated unit moved to the site. These buildings have since been demolished. They contained murals painted by the US Army troops as well as graffitied names of some of those serving. Reports suggest, the man responsible for the demolition rescued parts of the murals and rebuilt them in his home at Portadown, Co. Armagh.