The Regal Cinema in the seaside village of Donaghadee, Co. Down was a favourite of the Kindertransport children who settled at the nearby Ballyrolly House, Millisle, Co. Down. They would walk up to 3 miles from the farmhouse to see the latest Holywood movies or newsreels during World War Two.
It was at the Regal Cinema in 1945, the older Kindertransport children saw the horrors of the Holocaust as newsreel images of the liberation of the camps flashed across the screen.
The screen was only 20 feet wide although this expanded to 25 feet with the installation of Cinemascope. The cinema operated until the 1960s. By 1980, viewing of movies had stopped and the building was a social club. It later became a community centre although demolition occurred in the mid-2000s when building of a new community centre and carpark began on the site.