Keady Mill, Keady, Co. Armagh

Keady Mill was one of many in southern Co. Armagh. Established by William Kirk in the 18th century, it would see use by both British and American troops.

Keady Mill


Co. Armagh

United Kingdom

The town of Keady in Co. Armagh has a long association with textile manufacture. Situated in a prime position to the south west of Armagh City, it also played host to troops throughout World War Two.

The growth of water-power and the town’s proximity to the Clea River, a tributary of the River Callan that flows from Clea Lake, lead to an 18th-century boom.

William Kirk first established the Keady Mill and another in nearby Darkley. The Keady Monument still stands in his honour. Today, Keady Mill is a newly restored building in the town centre that doubles as office space and a visitor attraction.

The Welch Regiment in Keady, Co. Armagh

Imperial War Museum Photo: H 11968 (Part of the War Office Second World War Official Collection). Universal carriers and motorcycles of 4th Battalion The Welch regiment on manoeuvres in Keady, Co. Armagh on 22nd July 1941. Photo taken by Lieutenant JR Bainbridge - Official War Office Photographer.

British and American Forces

The following British and American forces were based in the Co. Armagh town between 1939 and 1944. If you have more information, please get in touch.

Start DateEnd DateUnits
November 19414th Battalion, The Welch Regiment
20th October 194311th April 19449th Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division