In 1945, 5th (Merckem) Infantry Brigade of the Belgian Army arrived in Northern Ireland. During their time in Ulster, some of their Officers had their headquarters in Alexander House, Caledon, Co. Tyrone.
Field Marshall Alexander and his wife visited the Belgian Army Officers in 1945. Other visitors in 1945 included the Earl of Caledon, Denis James Alexander. In some areas of the house, Belgian soldiers painted art including regimental insignia on the walls.