In 1945, Acton House in the village of Acton, Co. Armagh became home to a group of Belgian soldiers. The young men of the Belgian Army’s 4th (Steenstraete) Infantry had arrived from Europe to retrain and regroup in Northern Ireland.
The Belgians arrived at Acton House on the backs of Bedford lorries. They soon made their homes in Nissen Huts in the grounds of the grand house. They would remain in these rural settings for 6 months.