On 19th February 1900, a 14-year-old Bugler of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers stood before Queen Victoria. James Dunne had sustained wounds during the Anglo-Boer wars. Soon after, Queen Victoria reinstated the forbidden 'Wearing of the Green' among Irish Regiments and even visited Ireland herself to pay tribute to the soldiers.
On 14th March 1900, the following instruction was issued:
Her Majesty the Queen is pleased to order that in future on Saint Patrick’s Day all ranks in Her Majesty’s Irish regiments shall wear as a distinction a sprig of shamrock in their head-dress to commemorate the gallantry of Her Irish soldiers during the recent battles in South Africa.
This led to the founding of The Countess of Limerick’s Shamrock League in 1901 when the shamrock was worn as a mark of remembrance among the Irish regiments.
To this day, the Irish regiments continue to receive springs of shamrock on St. Patrick’s Day and they are worn with pride.
On 17th March 1940, General Sir Charles Harrington presented the shamrock to a Battalion of the London Irish Rifles in England before taking the salute.
On 12th March 1941, the traditional presentation of the shamrock to a battalion of Royal Irish Fusiliers took place at Abercorn Barracks, Ballykinler, Co. Down.
On St. Patrick's Day, 17th March 1942, Brigadier P.H. Hansen V.C. presented sprigs of shamrock to members of 31st Battalion, Royal Ulster Rifles in Belfast.
On St. Patrick's Day, 17th March 1943, the wife of Lieutenant Colonel R.A. Heard M.C. presented shamrocks to recruits at 25th Infantry Training Centre in Omagh, Co. Tyrone.